Saturday 3 March 2012


Trivia about Sobeys

·         Named after its founder, John William Sobey.
·         Started as a meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia in 1907.
·         Expanded to full grocery store by John William’s son, Frank H. Sobey in 1924.
·         Opened six chain of store in Pictou County and the surrounding counties after 15 years.
·         Opened the first modern Sobeys supermarket by Frank Sobey in Atlantic Canada in 1947.
·         Transferred management to Frank’s three sons in 1971.
·         Opened its first store outside of Atlantic Canada in Guelph, Ontario in 1987.
·         Became a national company in 1998.
·         Became 100 years old in 2007.
·         Have more than 1300 stores across the country.

William Sobey

Frank's sons

Many of us want to know where our food comes from. You can actually trace the fish you buy from Sobeys from the ocean to your local Sobeys and even see the picture of fisherman, boat, and crew. You are even able to send notes to them                                                                                                

And finally make a wise decision to buy better seafood.

 Does not this mean to you high quality? Is not this amazing to you? Sobeys is the first Canadian grocery corporation that innovate this system.



I really like the free “Inspired Magazine” from Sobeys. A while ago I got first one from local Sobeys store. There were many recipes and information in the magazine which I really enjoyed. I like cooking magazines and I could get them from library but I cannot keep them for a long time. I also get some recipes from internet but nothing is easier than a free magazine on hand that you could buy the ingredients at the same time from the store near you. What do you think about it?


When I was checking Sobeys website, I figured out I can speak to a dietitian for free and get information about health and quality of life. This is the website we can get many information about nutrition, meal planning, healthy eating tips and much more. http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/aboutERO.aspx
I think it is very important to know about nutrition these days because of availability of variety foods and increasing of obesity especially for children. I realized this is a good option for living a healthy lifestyle. Please go and check the website today and let me know about your experience.



Sobeys is also a pioneer in introducing reusable bags. You can see reusable bags in many parts of store. Here is a picture I took from our local Sobeys.



Did you know you can change your used reusable bag with a new one for free if it wears out?
 These bags
·         Can carry up to 20 kg
·         Are machine- washable
·         Contain 20% recycled material
·         are 100% recyclable


Do you know anywhere else with better options? Please let me know if you know better packages.




Sobeys and Disney launch a new food line just for kids ages 3-12 to prevent them from obesity especially in busy families. Compliments Junior Disney products with the Health Check™ symbol have been evaluated by Heart and Stroke Foundation dietitians.  Most of the packages have Canada’s Food Guide information about daily serving of vegetables, fruit, grain products, dairy products and protein. These products contain no artificial flavors, no artificial colors and no added hydrogenated oils in any of its products.


As a mom I like to feed the best food to my kid. I know all families worry about their children. I hope there is no bad food in any shelf in grocery stores in future and I appreciate stores like Sobeys who make small changes for good future.







If you join Club Sobeys and start collecting points, you can save on future purchases. You can get 1 point for every dollar you spend. Plus, with bonus point deals available in-store and a point exchange program with Esso Extra, your points can really add up. You can even have your Club Sobeys points automatically converted to Esso Extra points or Air miles.





Sobeys reminds me a healthy and well organized store for all ages. Last week my parents, my daughter and I went to our local store. All three generation enjoyed our time. My daughter was asking many questions about the store. Fruit and vegetables shelves were easy to reach for my three year old daughter. Everything is well organized and eye catching.
Sobeys is not only a grocery store but it is a place for starting a healthy lifestyle.

Sources:

 http://blog.totembrandstories.com/2011-11-11-inspired-holiday-issue/sobeys-holiday-cover








No comments:

Post a Comment